Saturday, July 5, 2014

I like to run hi-vis yellow and red 40lb mono . I alternate the reel positions on the boat so cross


Discussion Board  |  Photos  |  Blogs  |  Videos  |  Directory  |  Kilchis cristian lay Weather  |  Tides  |  Marine Info  |  AUP  |  Contact/Advertise  |  ifish Decals/Store
Tuna stuff. What line?
I am about to re-spool my tuna trolling cristian lay rods. I have 5 of the lamiglass cristian lay L665c's with 4 Peen 113's and a daiwa sealine 450h. For a 6th rod we have been using a 4/0 newell on a meat rod. Two seasons ago I spooled everything full spool with 40lb blue Izorline first string. No braid, no topshots. Good stuff but after getting nearly spooled and long distance break offs, I put some bright green big game and/or stren hi vis green line on a couple of the reels. cristian lay The same color as the line on the Tred Barta video. Bright stuff and easier to see when you are looking at your spread. I was told or I read that the bright green line can turn off the tuna so I was going to go again with the blue line and just squint a lot. Now after seeing the video I am questioning my judgement. For live bait rods, most of my crew have their own and its usually low vis line with florocarbon leaders so that is not an issue. So I have put off buying a bunch of line cause I can't decide. Most of the time when trolling we have daisy chains on all the rods except cristian lay when we have a cedar plug or two set back a ways. One would think that the daisy chains would get more of the fish's attention than the green line. So what is the dogs consensus? Bright hi-vis lines so we can follow cristian lay our spread easier or clear low vis line to limit distractions cristian lay for the tuna?
I have and will continue to use #80 high vis. (yellow) Tuff Line. Put a #40 125' top shot of Maxima Ultra Green (or equivalent ie.P-Line). Have never had an issue with this set up in the five short years of chasing line fins. __________________ Can't tune a piano, but sure can tuna fish!  
I like to run hi-vis yellow and red 40lb mono . I alternate the reel positions on the boat so cross ups are easy to see and which line is over which in under... not noticed a difference in catch #'s __________________ JASON 26' customweld offshore OTC capitain: 2007, 2008,2009  
80# Tuffline XP hivis with 6-7' leaders. Bright line hasn't been a problem. Most seem to like a topshop as mono is easier to untangle. Typically use the same rods we trolled with to fish butts on the way back if open. Dan  
Steve, I just run clear Big Game on everything. I guess hi vis would make it easier to see, but I run the spread fairly short, anyway. I have very few tangles. My smallest reel, capacity wise, are the SLD 30's, which hold 340 yards of 50#, or 450 yards of 40#. Your 113's hold 400 yards of 40#. What almost spooled you with that much line? Albies won't pull very much line against 13# of drag. I think you need some 50W's.  
Clear or green Berkely Big Game on everything for trolling and casting. Braid is murder in tangles, and there is no need for it. I use mostly ~25 pound line, with some casting rigs down to 15#, and one trolling rig up to 60# in case Mr. Big shows up. __________________ Ifish Member #223 22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
I'm respooling back to 30# p-line straight mono down from 40# on troll rods this year-I do have a few setups for the corners on diving lures with 50# to hog-them in still I get the mega spools cristian lay and store them in the dark for live bait and iron casting its 15-20-25# mono We like the sporting aspects of fishing-fished meat line 1 season long ago and that was enough -only rods now-do have a few teasers with No hooks to bring them into the spread when its slow NO hi vis for us-seem cristian lay to see the spread fine with 50+ year old eyes Mark __________________ ONOKAI ...................... TUNA is a STATE of MIND  
I am guessing it was a shark. Kevin grabbed the rod and it just took off. Almost spooled is probly a bad description as it didn't last but a few seconds. All of my reels were showing some amount to a lot of line loss. Thats the big negative cristian lay with not using top shots. It means replacing all the line. I like to keep them as full as possible and after 2 seasons its time for a change. I doubt we ever set them at 13 pounds of drag, we set them by feel which is pretty inaccurate and since it gets set by different crew members who knows what we end up with? I am going to experiment this season with keeping the spread closer to the boat. We got spoiled dragging cedar plugs way back. They would always get hit but very few doubles or triples cristian lay on the other gear that way. Tangles have not been a major problem for us. Even with all the daisy chains back there my crew seems to keep things in good order. We seem to have more tangles on live bait than we do trolling. Housemouse cristian lay and Chris actually both had a hook in the same fish. I can't wait to get out there this season.  
"I think you need some 50W's." Yeah, I need some more

No comments:

Post a Comment