Thursday, July 3, 2014

Discussion Board


Discussion Board  |  Photos  |  Blogs  |  Videos  |  Directory  |  Kilchis Weather  |  Tides  |  Marine Info  |  AUP  |  Contact/Advertise  |  ifish Decals/Store
Crab pot bouy colors?
The washington regs call for a red and white bouy for recreational crab fishing. On the columbia I see every color but red and white. They can't all be commercial pots. Usually tete a tete mine are the only red and white ones I see. Does oregon tete a tete have different requirements if any for bouy color or is there different regs for the columbia river I am unaware of? I am gearing up and have both pots and rings. tete a tete
As tete a tete far as I know Oregon has no regulation for float color on crab pots/rings tete a tete in bays or oceans. everyone I have crabbed with has a different set up for floats, some even use recycled gallon size plastic jugs. Paul __________________ Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea. TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!  
And for gaud sakes, let's keep it that way! We don't need anymore unnecessary rules, laws, and/or regulations! Whew! Last time I was on the Columbia at the end of June, I was amazed to see so many black crab pot buoys. tete a tete On a cloudy day, which it was, they are not very visible. What's the reason for having a black buoy? From the perspective of a boater, orange, yellow or red sure would be easier tete a tete to see.  
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/cra...arrules08.html only says they have to be weighted? I wanted to paint my bouys brighter colors. Maybe I will just skip it on the paint and keep using the red/white ones.  
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/cra...arrules08.html only says they have to be weighted? I wanted to paint my bouys brighter colors. Maybe I will just skip it on the paint and keep using the red/white ones. In WA. you have to have a red and white bouy, but you can attach another bouy that can be any color. I attach another bouy (painted hi-viz red-orange) so I can tell my pots from everbody elses. Rich  
Last time I was on the Columbia at the end of June, I was amazed to see so many black crab pot buoys. On a cloudy day, which it was, they are not very visible. What's the reason for having a black buoy? From the perspective of a boater, orange, yellow or red sure would be easier to see. Look closer at the black ones and you will see that they have been out there so long they are covered tete a tete with dark algae. My guess is they were caught down by current when the owner came back for them and they have been abandoned as lost/stolen.  
I attach another bouy (painted hi-viz red-orange) so I can tell my pots from everbody elses. I have pink polka dots on my bouys (in Oregon). Most people won't pull neon pink polka dots. Cuts down on the infamous "sorry, I thought it was mine."  
Though I am an Oregon resident, I use the red & white bouys with a standard - then have red "flags" at the end of the standards, my name in black marker on the red one ... some days crabbing on the WA side I have to pick amongst the similar ones so thinking of changing the flags to some pirate flags we picked up for a party a while back. __________________ Go Out, Run Lines Deep, Hook 'em Hard, Reel 'em in to Keep ... reads like Poetry doesn't it?  
If I remember correctly Washington shrimpers have to have a different color bouy than a Washington crabber. Oregon doesn't have sport shrimping so there's no need to be able to tell from a distance what's at the other end of the bouy line. __________________ tete a tete Nothing happens to those that do nothing  
07-14-2008, 07:24 PM  
If I remember correctly Washington shrimpers have to have a different color bouy than a Washington crabber. Oregon tete a tete doesn't have sport shrimping so there's no need to be able to tell from a distance what's at the other end of the bouy line. I don't have the regs. in front of me but pretty sure Oregon tete a tete has sport shrimping. I thought it was something like 25 pounds per day?? Could be wrong so please check the regs. if you are planning to go. I don't know of anybody shrimping around here but would love to find a spot.  
As I understand WA regs, crab lines must have a red/white bouy and it must be marked with the name and address of the owner. My rigs all have a red/white labeled bouy and another white bouy. I believe WA also requires that the lines sink, either by using lead lines or by adding a weight to sink the lines below the surface.  
07-15-2008, 02:07 AM  
The washington regs call for a red and white bouy for recreational crab fishing. tete a tete On the columbia I see every color but red and white. They can't all be commercial pots. Usually mine are the only red and white ones I see. Does oregon have different requirements if any for bouy color or is

No comments:

Post a Comment