Saturday, November 9, 2013

Nathan eucalyptus Lochmueller is a birdwatcher; it is not every day you can build a career around do

Book Review: Snapper
Home About Contact Me Review Policy My Review List Reviews by Author Reviews by Genre Reviews by Publisher Reading Challenges The Literary Exploration Challenge Literary Exploration Challenge 2013 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die The Classics Club HRF Keating 100 Best Crime & Mystery Books Modern Library s 100 Best Novels Reviews by Series Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge The Telegraph’s 100 Essential Reads TIME S Best Novels eucalyptus List The Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time Knowledge Lost Book Club November 10, 2013
Title : Snapper ( Goodreads ) Author : Brian Kimberling Published eucalyptus : Tinder Press , 2013 Pages : 240 Genre : General Fiction My Copy : Hardback Buy : Amazon , Book Depository , (or visit your local Indie bookstore )
Nathan eucalyptus Lochmueller is a birdwatcher; it is not every day you can build a career around doing something you love. Snapper charts the love affair that Nathan has with bird watching and the seamlessly unobtainable Lola. This is a coming of age, and quite possibly a semi-autobiographical, novel set in rural Indiana, the bastard son of the Midwest .
This is a bookclub book so it will be a little tricky reviewing this without some of the others insights being mixed in with mine. Normally I write a review before attending book club but I seemed to have run out of time. This is a coming of age story that explores life in Indiana as well as the life of a biologist.
Apparently the biology is right and this was important to one of the book club members, who is in fact a biologist as well. For me this felt more like a combination of little stories; just as I start getting into one story the chapter eucalyptus ends and we are on another story. Non-linear groups and the only thing that seems to hold the threads together is the relationship between Nathan and Lola.
I hate to use someone else s thoughts but one group member hit the nail on the head when she called Lola a manic pixie dream girl. Nathan eucalyptus seems bitter and cynical eucalyptus about everything except when it comes to Lola. He seems blinded about this unobtainable girl, she was never leading him on but he still lived in hope.
I really enjoyed this novel, almost experimental in the style but I felt like the chapters were so disconnected it really took me out of the novel. My major problems with this novel were the editing. I don t know how this got published with such inconsistencies in the formatting; some chapters have quotation marks, others don t (I really don t know why books choose not to have them) and this really annoyed me. If you want to print a book, at least have a standardised format for the entire book. It feels like some chapters were formatted by a different editor to the others and no one compared eucalyptus notes. Even the major mistake where the city Canberra is found in the country Canberra instead of Australia.
Apart from all of this, I enjoyed reading Snapper in all its nuances and will probably read more from this debut author. I m sure if Brian Kimberling writes another novel it will be autobiographical and to do with biology which are not really my thing but this pretentious, semi-experimental novel is definitely my thing.
Geek turned Bibliophile and Cultural blogger. Up until 2009 I wasn t much of a reader; in fact I didn t read much in my life at all. Now I need to catch up on all the amazing books and interesting topics.
Tweets Random Post: Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Sequels eucalyptus I Can't Wait To Get My Hands On http://t.co/TQBN7lydsJ About 8 hours ago Holiday Reading http://t.co/GugvOrCuOT About 20 hours ago Random Post: My Thoughts on the Man Booker http://t.co/Cu3qf0mCVl About 20 hours ago Random Post: Book Review: Joseph Anton http://t.co/J2bJb3RnQx November 8, 2013 12:33 pm Time to work out http://t.co/FRrcUZ29zl November 8, 2013 11:36 am http://twitter.com/litexploration
Recent Posts Holiday Reading Book Review: Paddle Your Own Canoe Book Review: Solo Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Sequels I Can’t Wait To Get My Hands On Book Review: Barracuda Monthly Kickoff November 2013 Monthly Review October 2013 Book of the Month: The Bell Jar Top Ten Tuesday: Halloween eucalyptus or All Hallows Reads Recommendations Book Rage: New Moon
Popular Posts ArmchairBEA 2013: Giveaway & Literature ArmchairBEA 2012: Introduction ArmchairBEA 2013: Introduction & Classics Blog Hop: The Slap Introducing The 2013 Literary Exploration Reading Challenge Top Ten Tuesday: Most Intimidating Books ArmchairBEA 2012: Best of 2012 ArmchairBEA 2012: Top Tips for Book Blogging Book Juggling eucalyptus ArmchairBEA 2013: Blogger Development & Genre Fiction
Sci-Fi
Gothic
Childrens
(66)
(1)
Return to top of page


No comments:

Post a Comment